Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I Love the Military ... but ...

... I'm not sure how I feel about this.

As much as I love all the armed services, and love seeing them around in their uniforms on their way home (I live near a base), I'm not so sure I love the idea of the military being involved in more domestic duties.

"There are critics of the change, in the military and among civil liberties groups and libertarians who express concern that the new homeland emphasis threatens to strain the military and possibly undermine the Posse Comitatus Act, a 130-year-old federal law restricting the military's role in domestic law enforcement."

Then again, they're already involved in things when we have natural disasters so I'm not sure we'd even notice. And if there was some huge catastrophic event I'm guessing we'd want extra help securing the peace. Sure and hell my hubby and his folks can't do it all themselves. As good as they are. :)

"If funding continues, two additional teams will join nearly 80 smaller National Guard and reserve units made up of about 6,000 troops in supporting local and state officials nationwide. All would be trained to respond to a domestic chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, or high-yield explosive attack, or CBRNE event, as the military calls it."

I guess it does make sense for the military to be involved in such major events.

No comments: