Monday, December 22, 2008

Goals are Tricky Things

So...I never make New Year's Resolutions. I pretty much think they're lame and I never keep them anyway.

But I've been getting more and more fed up with my body and my inability to control my eating habits. It's incredibly frustrating and demoralizing to say the least. Both hubby and I have gained a lot of weight since we were married 6 years ago - he doesn't fit into his old uniforms. Looking at our wedding photos makes me want to cry.

His nemesis is fast food. Especially when he's working night shift. Sometimes he'll hit BK twice in a night. Or Jack in the Box, since they are open 24 hours. It's hard out there when you're in the middle of a night shift and I totally get that. But when he spends over $90 in four days I get a little pissed. Ya know?

So hubby and I chatted today and both agreed on challenges for us in the new year. At first he said no fast food for the whole year but I asked if that was really an attainable goal. I mean, I don't want him to starve or anything.

We decided that his goal will be to spend no more than $10 a week at fast food places, but that doesn't include coffee. As much as it bugs me to see the $3 and $4 charge for coffee, I'd much rather he does that than get sleepy on the job.

My goal will be a little tougher (I think). I've decided that I really need to focus and the only way to do that is cut certain things totally out of my life. The first thing I will cut is chocolate. I love chocolate. Mostly in the form of ice cream but Reeses Peanut Butter Cups will work too. And mint chocolate.

But if I am going to lose weight and truly make changes in my physical self I can't do it half assed. I can't just have a little piece of chocolate here and there. Once I start eating I don't stop. It's compulsive and I will eat until I literally puke. :( I can't count the number of times I've made myself sick.

So come 2009 we will start saving money ... no more Dove Toffee Caramel Moment ice cream (the absolute best ice cream in the whole wide world!). No more peanut butter cups. No more baskin robbins.

There are a lot more things I should cut out - Dr. Pepper for one. My teeth would thank me. But this one will already be traumatic and I will go through some serious withdrawals. Sugar addiction really sucks you know. =)

1 comment:

Sandee said...

I eat two meals per day. For breakfast I have two scrambled eggs with three pieces of bacon. I small glass of non-fat milk.

For dinner I have meat (any kind), veggies (no sauces) and a large dinner salad with light dressing.

Now throw in some exercise here, even if it's just a 30 minute walk several times a week.

That's it for each and every day. I've taken off 9 pounds in pretty short order. I'm not saying it's the most healthy regimen but it's working for me.

Good luck and have a terrific day. :)