Wednesday, January 27, 2010

This is Not a New Issue

My first car was a 1986 (or 87, I can't remember) Toyota Corolla that my mom bought - she bought it without me so I didn't even get to help pick it out. Thankfully I still loved it and eventually I bought it from her (and even paid it off!).

After I'd paid it off and owned it outright for approximately two months I had the scariest thing happen...I was driving to work, on a street where the speed limit was around 25 mph, and all of a sudden my gas pedal wouldn't stop...and my brakes weren't slowing me down.

The car kept speeding up more and more and I was seriously panicking. Finally I just turned the car off in the middle of the street. That's about all I remember, aside from the terror I felt. I was only 19 or 20 at the time...not the most experienced with scary car things.

Even worse...after I restarted and kept driving it happened AGAIN a few days later. So I went and bought a new car. This time a 96 Toyota Corolla, which never gave me the same scary experience.

Now I have a Toyota Rav4, a 2004, and have never experienced this same thing. But then they come out with a recall saying that a bunch of newer models have this accelerator sticking problem and it makes me really nervous. Because it is NOT a new issue from my perspective. When I traded in my 86 at the dealership I did tell them about the accelerator issue I had and they were not surprised. So when will my 04 crap out on me?

All of my cars have always been Toyota (aside from hubby's truck, which is a Ford) and my dream car is actually a 4Runner. Maybe I need to rethink that.

2 comments:

pamibe said...

So this really isn't a new issue?? Dang.

I've never owned a toyota but this would not encourage a purchase, I'll tell ya that much.

CastoCreations said...

Not a new issue from my experience. I don't know if they fixed that old Corolla of mine or not but I haven't had problems with my last two Toyotas since that one. And I really love the brand but if they screwed up it is going to take some time to get my business back (when I can afford a new car in the far future).