Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I Am Right

I tell my mom this a lot...I'm usually right so just listen to me and take my advice. *grin* She often does, but I just can't convince her on my political views...still working on it.

But on this one, I am right, and so is she. She's an RN and she knows very well that antibiotic use is a major problem for our health and our ability to fight infections and basic diseases that have almost died out ... but they are making a comeback.

Norway seems to have figured out how to keep their infections in check...don't prescribe antibiotics for every little ache and pain.

Twenty-five years ago, Norwegians were also losing their lives to this bacteria. But Norway's public health system fought back with an aggressive program that made it the most infection-free country in the world. A key part of that program was cutting back severely on the use of antibiotics.

...

Norwegians are sanguine about their coughs and colds, toughing it out through low-grade infections.

"We don't throw antibiotics at every person with a fever. We tell them to hang on, wait and see, and we give them a Tylenol to feel better," says Haug.

There's a reason why I rarely take antibiotics and try to avoid antibacterial soaps. My house is not sterilized...I'm not trying to prevent my little boy from coming into contact with any and every germ. Far from it. From the time he was 3 or 4 days old he was going out into the big bad scary world of Target and Walmart. He has not had one single sickness yet - aside from my tummy sensitivity. I am hoping that because of all his exposure to 'stuff' in the world that his new adventures at daycare won't make him too sick either. But if he catches a cold...we'll tough it out and will not demand antibiotics from the doctors.

Parents need to get a clue and stop demanding drugs for every little thing.

No comments: