Monday, January 5, 2009

Couponing Pays Off

I had a blast yesterday shopping at my local haunts - Walgreens, Rite Aid, Fred Meyer, and Target.

Target had all their Christmas goodies at 90% off! I got labels for $0.09, gift bags for $0.04, and ornaments for $0.20! I was giddy. :) Then with my coupons and other purchases I saved over $30.

Because I coupon and do rebates with Rite Aid I had a $20 gift certificate, which I used to get a FREE rice cooker. I paid $0.41 in tax for the Rice Cooker, a can of soup, Maalox, and three packs of gum. Hard to beat that.

Hubby has been bugging me to get a rice cooker so now he can stop nagging. It's an adorable little one too - makes 3 cups. Which is perfect for two people. Now I need to learn a few more recipes to make with rice.

And rice is expensive! I had no idea it would be over $5 for a 5 pound bag. Sheesh. What's up with that?

I think our grocery bill has definitely gone down since I started couponing. I did hit two different grocery stores this weekend but in total only spent $80 - and that includes spending a ridiculous $4 on Kashi cookies for hubby. $4! But I got my favorite chips for less than $2 a bag and my organic milk for $2.29 for a half gallon (I can't drink regular milk anymore...blech!).

My best score though - $0.25 a bag for Fresh Express Salad kit!!!! I'm going to go back and get a few more if they haven't already sold out. Hubby promised to eat them and he is trying to eat healther so it's a bonus to get them for so cheap. They're normally $4 a piece.

I love coupons. They are my own personal stimulus package.

1 comment:

Sandee said...

Good for you. Coupons are indeed the way to go.

Have a terrific day. :)