Sunday, April 12, 2009

Three More Days

Three more days until I find out my fate.

Will I have a job and a salary? Or will I be without a job but have more time in my life to do other things?

Honestly? I really can't say which I prefer. And I truly mean that. Both have extreme benefits and detriments.

If I keep my job, which I do enjoy, I'll maintain my benefits and salary, not to mention my vacation, sick, and sabbatical (less than one year until I'm eligible). There will be a LOT of change in the company and I'm sure I'll be able to take on more responsibilities and challenges, which I'd like. Plus I get two months maternity leave and I'll have about two weeks vacation after that. All paid...which would be nice.

On the other hand I'll have to pay for daycare after I go back...and "inexpensive" daycare in our area is over $800 a month. Yowza! I'll be working almost two weeks just to pay for daycare.

If I lose my job, hubby has told me that I AM applying for unemployment. Just the thought makes my stomach turn. Or it could be the pregnancy, I don't know. But it IS my tax dollars right? *sigh* You have to prove that you are looking for employment while collecting these benefits though - and even though it's technically illegal - I don't see many employers wanting to hire an obviously pregnant lady. And honestly, I wouldn't WANT a job right away. *sigh*

I'd like to have time to get ready for the baby and work on my jewelry. I have a new idea for a new line of my jewelry that I think would be really popular in these times. But I won't have time to do it if I have a job.

I'm afraid I'd get bored at home though. I don't think I'm made to be a stay at home mom, even with my business. Although imagine how organized and clean my house would be. :) At least that's what hubby hopes.

There's nothing I can do to control the situation...which is hard for me. I like to control things. So I can only pray and wait. Someone knows my fate and they'll let me know on Wednesday.

6 comments:

jana said...

Sometimes, fate makes decisions for us.

I'm the type of person who sees good and bad in every outcome, so it sometimes makes me incapable of action.

Then, fate steps in and takes the decision out of my hands.

At that point, it's my job to play the best hand with the cards I'm dealt.

Good luck, Megan. I hope you are able to enjoy whichever twist fate deals.

pamibe said...

I'm praying for the best for you and your family. Sometimes it's hard to know, isn't it?

Employers pay into unemployment for a reason. If you are laid off, think about taking it, okay? As far as I know it's not tax dollars.

CastoCreations said...

Thanks, Pam. That is good to know. I didn't realize employers paid into it. I will take it if needed - but only because hubby insists. :)

Thanks Jana...I try to see the good in things too so it's definitely hard to make decisions sometimes. LOL

Sandee said...

My thoughts are with you. I hope it goes the way you really want it to.

Have a terrific day. :)

Mrs Koz said...

I pray that your answer is a positive one for you and yours. :)

I had the same conversation with my hubby about unemployment as his company had layoffs this year: If he loses his job he will file, even though he insists we won't need it for long.

I agree with pamibe that you should consider it. You sound like a self-sufficient and self-reliant type, much like my husband, so I am guessing your 'stay' would be temporary as well.

I guess what it boils down to is that I agree with Mark Levin: Those who are truly in need should avail themselves of those resources, as that is who they are for... not the freeloaders who have taken over and aspire to do nothing else.

CastoCreations said...

Thanks mommykoz...I appreciate Mark's sentiment too. :)

And thank you Sandy! I'll let everyone know tomorrow.