Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I'm a Christian and I Believe in Evolution

Yup. You read right. I am a Christian...though admittedly not a very "good" one (Is there such a thing?) as I haven't been to church in about three years or so. We plan to start back up but it sure is hard to get motivated some Sundays.

I believe in God and I believe Jesus died for my sins.

I also believe that this universe is way more complicated than any scientist can explain. Just look at the Global Warming "debate" (can it be a debate if one side says it's settled?). Science just can't fully explain everything.

When I was in high school I went to a four square Pentecostal church. No idea how I ended up there but I was there for more than four years and even helped teach Sunday school. I was turned off of the youth group at one point because the pastor said that evolution was not possible.

*insert blank stare here*

Because in the very next sentence he said God could do anything (which I believe).

So let me get this straight? God is all powerful and can do anything but not create a world in which evolution exists? Gotcha. See ya later.

His "proof" that evolution couldn't exist? Break apart a watch and spread the pieces all over the world. In no way could those pieces ever "reform" to become a watch again.

Uh...except God can do anything right? So why couldn't he reform the watch?

Illogical.

I don't necessarily believe that humans evolved from Apes. But I do know that humans HAVE evolved ... there is plenty of proof of that just in the last few hundred years (we're taller, living longer, etc).

And people who believe that humans hunted dinosaurs and that the earth is only a few thousand years old need to get mental help. They give Christians a very bad name.

5 comments:

Sandee said...

I'm with you on this one too. The world is just to perfect for there not to be a higher power. Just too perfect. Now the people? That's a whole different issue.

Have a terrific day. :)

pamibe said...

I have no idea what happened when or to whom; I don't think anyone really does... so I choose to believe that God is the architect of creation. Was there evolution? Probably. Like you said, it's only logical.

Why must it be an either/or question?

Sorry if this sounds short; I'm so cranky today for some reason... ;)

jana said...

I've never understood why people think that the two things are mutually exclusive.... There's scientific evidence for evolution, but, then again, there's no evidence *against* intelligent design.

I'm not really a Christian, I'm not religious at all, actually. But I do believe that there's a lot of things that aren't explained by science. And, I also believe there's a lot of science that's not explained by religion.

My problem comes in when everyone REFUSES to accept that there might be another explanation than theirs. Little Green Footballs is obsessed with the notion that Jindal and Palin are Creationists.

Sheesh. What difference does it make what *other* people think about this issue? They can't legislate their beliefs into law. Why can't they have their opinion, too?

Can't we just all get along? :)

P.S. Sorry this is so long... I don't mean to be a comment hog!

CastoCreations said...

Don't be silly Jana. I LOVE comment hogs. LOL :)

And I agree...why can't both be true? *grin*

A New Yorker said...

You're an independent thinker! GOLLY GEE who'd a thunk it?!? LOL I never understood why you cannot believe in god and evolution. Glad to know you share that with me :)