Because there isn't enough stress in my life right now.
Yesterday I had another Non Stress Test (NST) and hubby came with me. It was nice because he got to see what I go through with these things. Of course the boy wasn't moving very much ... he tends to have on days and off days and yesterday was an off day. This morning appears to be an on day. :)
But the stressful part of the appointment came when they started looking at my blood sugars. This gestational diabetes thing is really difficult and my body is not cooperating. Even when I eat something that should NOT raise my blood sugar, my score is too high. Of course I haven't been eating *that* well so some of the scores were because of my own choices.
So the doc and nurse said if I can't get my scores down in the next 4 days I'll have to be sent up to UW Medical even more often so they can start monitoring me there. :( Which would totally suck. I hate driving to Seattle, and the parking is expensive.
After the appointment we went over to the hospital to visit my mother in law. She is in for a 6 day round of chemo. And she had bad news for us. Her white counts were way too high and the doctor thinks that her cancer is back...after an all too brief remission. They'll find out for sure today.
What sucks is that she is not going to do everything she can to beat it. She's hoping for 6 months, at the most. And that just drives me insane! If you can fight something you should fight it. I feel like she's just giving up...something I said and she denies.
I know how hard the last full month round of treatment was for her. She had a minor stroke and had bleeding in the brain that only stopped through a miracle (they can't operate) - there were several times when they thought they were going to lose her. But we didn't! She made it.
She is refusing to have any sort of bone marrow transplant because the doctor says the odds are 20-30% she'd die during treatment. Which to me translates to a 70-80% chance of making it through!
I don't understand giving up. Yes, she's 69 years old. So what?!? That doesn't automatically mean she should refuse treatment and leave this planet early. She's going to be a grandma for Pete's sake. And she's saying all she wants is the opportunity to hold him.
So right now, her plan is to get blood transfusions, which should give her around 6 months. It would be nice to have her at least through Christmas.
It was not a good evening and I couldn't hold back the tears...although crying isn't exactly something new for me lately.
I know it's her life. And her right to decide what treatment she accepts. I know that logically. I don't accept it though.