Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Without Warning

Imagine a world with no America...or at least with 95% of America gone. I know some lefties and commies and terrorists who may love the idea, but reading the book Without Warning by John Birmingham speculates on this nightmare.

I don't remember where I heard about this author but I am very glad that I expanded my reading list. I'm not always open to reading new authors but this guy is excellent.

Within the first few pages of the book you are drawn into a world that has Americans, Canadians, Mexicans, and even some Cubans disappearing off the face of the earth. Gone. While some celebrate, others panic and with good reason. America is the glue that holds this crazy place together.

Without our military might and economic support, thugs and insanity begin to rule.

The book leads us through the story and the lives of several main characters - a pirate (yes, modern day), several military members, a spy, and a Seattle government worker. (Seattle is one of the only corners of the states that survived.)

It's a fascinating look into an alternative future. I couldn't put it down and read it in two days. Birmingham has other books too and I plan to order and read them as soon as I can.


No comments: